Exemptions to full-time enrollment can be made if:
- Your program requires you to be enrolled in clinical rotations.
- Your program requires you to be enrolled an internship program.
- Your program requires you to be enrolled in student teaching hours.
- Your graduate program considers 6+ hours as full-time.
- You are in your last semester and have no further classes to take.
If you are in your last semester and have no further classes to take, we do not require a letter from your advisor, but it is required that you have applied for graduation with your school. If you are selected as a recipient, Stars will verify enrollment with your school and will ask for verification that you are in your last semester. This verification is made by checking if the applicant has applied for graduation.
If you are enrolled at a community college and will be enrolled part-time out of choice (not a program requirement), we can approve part-time enrollment, however you will only receive half of the award offer. It is not necessary that you notify us, we will make adjustments once we verify enrollment on the 12th day of class.
*Unfortunately, we can not provide an exemption to full-time enrollment due to working full-time or being a parent.
How do you make a request for an exemption?
In section 4 of the application, the question is asked “Will you be participating in any program that will affect your full-time status during the Fall XXXX or Spring XXXX semester, such as clinical rotations, student teaching or an internship?”.
- If you answer “yes” to this question, you will need to send us a Letter from Advisor.
The Letter from your Advisor will serve as documentation that your program prohibits full-time enrollment . With proper documentation Stars can make exceptions at 6+ hours (no less) and still provide the full award offer.
- If you answer “no” to this question, your application will not be flagged for exemption consideration.
If you answered “no” to this question but do need to be considered for an exemption, you will need to submit an Application Update Request.